Thursday, July 2, 2009

Managing a Nice visit on 15 Euro a day


Is the Cote d’Azur over-rated? In a word, NO. It is fabulous. It’s true that Nice has no real beach, just a cobblestoney shore that forms an ankle-twisting risk, but I was so enchanted by the fresh cool breeze and unclouded sunshine that I hardly cared. The quality of the air was the first thing I noticed when I got off the train from Marseille. It carried the scent of the sea and refreshed me even when the sun was blazing hot.
I was incredibly lucky to be hosted by couchsurfer Laurent, who lives directly on the waterfront. The local beach was just across the street, the tourist beaches a short bike ride away. I arrived on a Friday with a head full of conferences and interviews for my T&E project. By Sunday I was fully in vacation mode, spending entire days in my bikini. For this I am indebted to Laurent, who inspired me with his enviable lifestyle. Working just four months a year, he spends most of his day refining his skills as a classical guitarist. He eats only organic (bio) food, and goes swimming in the ocean daily. He bikes everywhere and joined me at night to cruise the 2 km-long oceanfront esplanade and get ice cream. No wonder I ended up staying a couple extra days! It was sooooooooo nice and relaxing.

Tips for a Nice budget holiday:
• Maintain a strict diet of local fruit and baguette sandwiches
• Negotiate a one-day bike rental over a Sunday, when the shops are closed
• All the museums are free admission
• Limit of one ice cream per day

No comments:

Post a Comment